What Q5 is doing
We’re establishing the internal capability to sustain a pipeline of new digital tools, products and services to support the organisational health of our clients – powered by data and our deep understanding of our clients’ needs.
We see unmet demand and untapped potential in Q5’s work with clients to date – specifically absent the data-driven tools and products that could better underpin and expand the offerings we provide to our clients. We have the functional knowledge and market reach to be exploited, however until now we have lacked the internal capability and capacity to take advantage of this.
Key objectives of the role:
- To lead the analysis and requirements development effort internally for future digital products and tools that will support the increased effectiveness and capability Q5’s work, deploying business analysis techniques
- To conduct application research and develop their systems and business process knowledge so as to provide systems configuration and admin support as new tools and systems are deployed
- To support the work of our CTO and consulting business leaders as we develop investment business cases, manage the digital product roadmap, conduct due diligence and research potential new tools and partnerships
- To bring a proactive, inquisitive, high energy and ‘make it happen’ attitude to the role – contributing to driving the digital and data-led agenda across Q5
- To develop and sustain a broad knowledge of the use of SaaS systems and tools appropriate and relevant to Q5. This is not a software engineer or developer role, but to be effective some understanding, experience and broad interest in the following is required:
- Integration across systems (e.g. systems data models, APIs)
- Principles of modern web design, i.e. applying CSS to web pages
- Building data insight dashboards in a tool such as Tableau or PowerBI – or perhaps using basic data queries such as SQL
- An understanding of basic security practices for SaaS tools – e.g. SSO, MFA, zero-trust systems
- To build and share an increased understanding of our digital products and tools across Q5, what activity is in progress, where it fits in and how best to progress it – so we that know who to go to for what
- To contribute to building momentum and support across the Q5 organisation – getting others engaged and involved – playing a leading role as we develop our digital capability through iteration, pilot client projects and partnerships
Candidate Profile Considerations
- Requires energy, practicality, and proactivity; a desire to work in a people-centric organisation that supports a broad range of clients, intellectual curiosity and a genuine ambition to grow and develop both themselves and, in turn, us.
- Opportunity to join at a pivotal time for Q5’s digital journey – a rare chance to work with our most senior leaders in shaping this area and building your own ‘patch’ – with potential and expectation to grow into a larger and more senior Product Manager role.
- Relevant professional experience is required – perhaps gained in a Business Analyst or Product Owner role (any sector) – and an ideal academic background might be a degree earned in an Engineering discipline, Information Systems, or similar.
Principles of how we want this role to work
- We are looking for help build up a digital capability, someone willing to ‘roll-up their sleeves’ to make things happen or find things out. They should seek out guidance and input from others if unsure but drive forward momentum.
- We will seek to develop our digital capability first and foremost through buying and licensing the right systems, working in partnership with vendors, connecting tools in new and innovative ways to meet our client needs. We see most value in connecting and configuring these systems, rather than by developing and maintaining custom solutions – we don’t want a developer.
- We will seek to develop our capability and thinking in an agile manner by default, using design thinking principles – so knowledge of these is desirable.
- Will be engaged not only in the business and systems analysis but also the commercial business case development – we need to ensure that the work ‘thinks big’ and has a commercial focus. Must be happy to support this.
- We aim to get early wins to prove value and gain momentum and buy-in; then to develop this area of the organisation and this role commensurate with that.
- We are not the first consulting business to have entered this area of digital and data-led capability. We must leverage the knowledge and experience in the market, as well as our own network. This work also requires some external research and engagement with potential partners, competitors, etc.
- We will be informed by and contribute to Q5’s evolving business strategy – not always to be constrained by it but being especially clear when it is stretching or departing from it and breaking new ground. Getting to know us and engaging with what and how we work with clients, is therefore critical.
Role % focus areas
- ~70% developing collateral, building expertise, conducting desktop and systems research, capturing requirements, configuring tools
- ~20% collaborating and communicating with Q5ers and (potential) partners
- ~10% administration of pipeline of new tools and support for them
Manager, Mentor and Buddy
- Reports into: CTO,
- Mentor: TBC
- Buddy: TBC
Product Working Group
This role will attend the Q5 Product Working Group and in particular will need to build links with its members:
- Chair, London
- Strategy Board link role, London
- Q5 Futurology, London
- CTO, London
- Data & Analytics, Sydney